This easy yet wonderful stew can be made any time of year. The meat can be omitted without compromising the dish. Serve hot with a great bread and a nice spinach salad.
- Original recipe makes 6 servingsChange Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 pound chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1/3 pound cooked ham, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (1 pound) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small hot green chile pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango – peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Prep Time 15 mins | COOK 30 mins | READY IN 45 mins
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the chorizo and ham 2 to 3 minutes. Place the onion in the pot, and cook until tender. Stir in garlic, and cook until tender, then mix in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, chile pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir the beans into the pot, and cook uncovered until heated through. Mix in the mango and cilantro, and season with salt.